CHRIST THE FOUNDATION
1 Corinthians 3:11 (NLT)
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ
What I Must Build on
Jude 20-21 But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.
My Aim As a Christian Is To Be a Holy Temple for God to Dwell In
Ephesians 2:21-22 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. (NIV)
We are living stones, chosen and built together by God for His Dwelling
1 Peter 2:4-5 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
The Word of God and His Grace, the Bible, is the only thing that builds us up
Acts 20:32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
Our Foundation is a Person Who is Jesus Christ
1 Corinthians 3:9-11 For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building. According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
How to Lay the Foundation of Jesus in My Life
Matthew 13:9-11 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
1. Peter in Greek is Petros which is a stone or a boulder.
2. Petra in Greek is a Rock that extends to the bedrock and as its part of the bedrock
So you see now Peter is not the foundation of our faith. What Jesus Christ meant in Matthew 16:18 was a reference to the revelation God gave Peter in vs 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God, on this account Jesus Christ institutes the foundation of our faith which is Jesus Christ Himself.
Deuteronomy 32:30-31 How could one have chased a thousand, and two have put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, and the LORD had given them up? For their rock is not as our Rock; our enemies are by themselves.
In Deuteronomy 32:30-31 the rock there is metaphor meaning the True God Jehovah is our Rock and foundation.
The Four Successive Faces Peter Passed Before Encountering Jesus
1. A revelation giving by God the Father through the Holy Spirit (Matthew 16:17).
2. There has to be an acknowledgement
3. A personal confession of Jesus Christ as the Son of the living God (Matthew 16:16).
4. Public confession our faith in Christ Jesus (Matthew 10:32-33)
1. Jesus Christ was not revealed to Peter as the Son of the Carpenter, but as the Son of God (Hebrews 13:8)
2. The revelation was through the Holy Spirits
How to build on my foundation which is Jesus Christ
1. By hearing what the Bible says.
2. And doing what the Bible Says.
Matthew 2:24-25“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
Luke 6:46-49 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?
Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”
Life is not a storm free life, so if you are living a storm free live check yourself before you wreck yourself
Things to Dig Out My Way to Enable Me Build On Christ my Foundation
1. Traditions: Mark 7:13 Thus you are nullifying and making void and of no effect [the authority of] the Word of God through your tradition, which you [in turn] hand on. And many things of this kind you are doing.(AMP)
2. Prejudices (All Forms): an unfounded hatred, fear, or mistrust of a person or group, especially one of a particular religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual preference, or social status.
3. Preconceptions: an idea or opinion formed in advance, especially if it is based on little or no information or experience and reflects personal prejudices
4. Unbelief : Absence of Faith In Christ Jesus and His Word
5. Rebellion : Resistance or Disobedience to the Word of God
WHAT IS MY ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE BIBLE
John 10:35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came — and the Scripture cannot be broken
i. Scripture is that which is written
ii. Jesus is the word of God – John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
iii. Jesus will be coming back as the word of God – Revelation 19:11-13 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God.